We believe we're on the cusp of becoming the UK's first palm oil free venue. Having made hugely encouraging strides, recent changes from the UK Food Standards Agency (FSA) have made it difficult for any business to become 100% palm oil free. For now, products are no longer required to list palm oil in their labelling as a substitute for sunflower oil, making it increasingly difficult to identify. However, the government has since confirmed this to be a temporary change to ease current supply chain issues. We look forward to when this change is reversed.
The positive news is that we've come a very long way in eradicating palm oil from a huge number of our products. In March 2023, we hosted our first 100% palm oil free event. In partnership with sustainable catering specialists, Boulevard Events, we served an elegant selection of palm oil free canapés and dishes. With our bespoke fine dining packages, planners can create palm oil free menus for award ceremonies and corporate dining events.
Our palm oil initiatives
- We conducted a full audit of the products that we and our suppliers use, allowing us to identify those that include palm oil.
- We've sent out declaration letters to all suppliers we identified using palm oil to discuss alternatives that could be used instead.
- Suitable alternatives for each product have been researched and implemented, such as various food and cleaning products.
- We buy all of our own products for our cleaning contractors to use so that we can have full control over what is in them.
- We routinely conduct research into new palm oil-free products and liaise with these suppliers about how we can utilise them effectively.
- We sourced a new caterer to ensure our fine dining offering would be 100% palm oil free. With fairtrade caterers Boulevard Events, we created a palm oil free selection of canapés and dishes.
Find out more about our campaign against the palm oil problem.
All Sustainable Development Goals
From coffee cups to beehives, explore the local initiatives we've been supporting at 15Hatfields. Read more
Explore the brands that match our values and demonstrate commitment to sustainable events. Read more
#SDG11: Supporting local
Minimising food miles, reducing travel and helping small, local businesses to thrive are all on the agenda. Read more
From vegan DDRs to waste reduction strategies, our work puts sustainable food at the top of the events agenda. Read more
#SDG12: Single-use plastic
We've been on a mission to #MakePlasticHistory so the use of single-use items in events becomes a thing of the past. Read more
Explore our top tips for simple but effective water-saving techniques and filtration systems. Read more
#SDG13: Carbon emissions
Reducing travel and cutting carbon emissions is encouraged among staff and clients alike. Read more
#SDG13: Palm oil
We won't stop until we see the complete eradication of palm oil - see how you can make a start in joining us. Read more
As part of our zero to landfill goal, we get creative with the recycling initiatives at 15Hatfields. Read more