In 2019, we took our efforts one step further and committed to #MakePlasticHistory. We eradicated single-use plastic altogether at 15Hatfields and have continued to champion the initiative.
In most cases, plastic is difficult to recycle effectively and ends up producing chemical pollution and harming wildlife. As a single-use plastic-free event venue for many years, we’ve shared our successful initiatives that can help others achieve the same.
Plastic free catering
- We have replaced all our PET plastic film wrap used for preserving food with lower-impact plant-based and compostable PLA film.
- Tea is served in plastic-free, compostable temples from Teapigs, saving 52,000 plastic teabags over two years.
- Sugar has been switched from 1kg plastic-wrapped boxes to 25kg paper bags, reducing both plastic packaging and transportation emissions.
- All our cutlery is reusable and made in Sheffield from at least 90% recycled steel.
- We've switched our biscuit supplier to Border Biscuits who use 100% recycled plastic packaging. We’ve kept the quality for clients while knowing they’re doing good in the local community. The business donates 10% of profits to local charities in Lanark, Scotland.
Cleaning up plastic usage
- All plastic sponge scourers have been replaced with long-lasting E-cloths that are 100% natural sisal and cellulose, in plastic-free packaging. This has saved 120 scourers and subsequent packaging since June 2019.
- Delphis Eco has created the first range of cleaning products in the UK that use entirely recycled packaging.
- The detergent we receive from Delphis Eco is packaged in recycled plastic bottles made from UK milk bottles.
Breaking down plastic
- To prevent non-recyclable plastic from ending up in landfill, we’ve partnered with Pulse Environmental. They take this plastic to a local carbon capture energy recovery plant instead.
- Terracycle allows us to recycle milk bottle lids and mandatory nylon gloves used for safely handling food.
Take a look at our resources to help reduce your plastic waste output.
All Sustainable Development Goals
From coffee cups to beehives, explore the local initiatives we've been supporting at 15Hatfields. Read more
Explore the brands that match our values and demonstrate commitment to sustainable events. Read more
#SDG11: Supporting local
Minimising food miles, reducing travel and helping small, local businesses to thrive are all on the agenda. Read more
From vegan DDRs to waste reduction strategies, our work puts sustainable food at the top of the events agenda. Read more
#SDG12: Single-use plastic
We've been on a mission to #MakePlasticHistory so the use of single-use items in events becomes a thing of the past. Read more
Explore our top tips for simple but effective water-saving techniques and filtration systems. Read more
#SDG13: Carbon emissions
Reducing travel and cutting carbon emissions is encouraged among staff and clients alike. Read more
#SDG13: Palm oil
We won't stop until we see the complete eradication of palm oil - see how you can make a start in joining us. Read more
As part of our zero to landfill goal, we get creative with the recycling initiatives at 15Hatfields. Read more